Thread: How much breast milk is normal when you pump?

Default How much breast milk is normal when you pump?

Hi Ladies, Well I was able to find someone that wanted breast milk since my IP's weren't interested. So I'm pumping for Deanna's (aka Kanbangirl) surro daughter. Deanna's IP's will have almost a month's worth of milk to start their daughter on until Deanna builds her milk supply. I'm so happy to be doing this. I've never exclusively pumped, but it's not bad, except for the 2 am pump...:toothless

So to my question... I wanted to see how much milk that I was producing so I counted how many ounces that I pumped for Wed on Thurs. As of Wed. I was 11 days post delivery. I pumped 57oz :yikes: I just couldn't believe it! That's almost 1 gal of breast milk Is this normal to produce this much milk this early? I pump every 3 to 3.5 hrs, 8 times per day and for about 15-18min. Please tell me what you think. I'm also interested in knowing how much milk the rest of you pump if you don't mind. I kinda like to know what is normal or at least close to it. Thanks so much in advance.

Blessings
    Joy

Follow my blog at~ http://theirpeasmypod.wordpress.com/

What other people think of you is none of your business

Quote Originally Posted by 1st_time_surro View Post
    Hi Ladies, Well I was able to find someone that wanted breast milk since my IP's weren't interested. So I'm pumping for Deanna's (aka Kanbangirl) surro daughter. Deanna's IP's will have almost a month's worth of milk to start their daughter on until Deanna builds her milk supply. I'm so happy to be doing this. I've never exclusively pumped, but it's not bad, except for the 2 am pump...:toothless

So to my question... I wanted to see how much milk that I was producing so I counted how many ounces that I pumped for Wed on Thurs. As of Wed. I was 11 days post delivery. I pumped 57oz :yikes: I just couldn't believe it! That's almost 1 gal of breast milk Is this normal to produce this much milk this early? I pump every 3 to 3.5 hrs, 8 times per day and for about 15-18min. Please tell me what you think. I'm also interested in knowing how much milk the rest of you pump if you don't mind. I kinda like to know what is normal or at least close to it. Thanks so much in advance.

Blessings
    Joy
    That is wonderful that you are pumping for Deanna's IP's! How great that the baby will have nothing but breastmilk! I felt so bad that my surro-twins had to be on formula leaving the hospital, i could not get the milk to them soon enough, I drove it 3.5 hours the following weekend :) The formula was making them very gassy and fussy.

Your supply is fantastic!! I was at 29oz at 11 days past delivery. Yesterday at 14 days I was at 38oz. I am steadily increasing though so I'm ok with that :)

BTW...a gallon is 128oz :) You almost have 2 quarts though!! Outstanding!! I kept thinking I wanted to pump a gallon a day until my DH informed me it was 128...I think I'd be happy with 64 :)

Thanks, Gina!!

Newborns eat 20-30 oz on average, so you're obviously double that but that is okay. Many here are HVPs (high volume producers) and some of us are considered to be blessed (I say that sarcastically) as having hyperlactation.

Last time after my last surro son, I was pumping at least 100 oz a day at two weeks postpartum. Obviously well above and beyond what a child at two weeks old would eat.

15-18 min at this point doesn't seem like much for each time you pump but if it works for you, that's all that matters. I pump every 2-3 hours for the first few weeks to work on establishing a good supply (and KEEPING IT as your supply can tank so easily the first few weeks) and then pump for 3-5 minutes after the last few drops come out - so that's about 25-30 min each time I pump.
    TS x 3 - 03/08, 06/10 & 06/12

I always got depressed when I saw how much the ladies here were able to pump. I pumped every 2 to 3 hours around the clock and only ever made about 28 to 35 ounces a day. Enough for one baby, but I was pumping for twins. Good luck to you!
    GS x 1 b/g twins in 2008 via C-section
    GS x 2 one boy, born August 2010--successful vbac! :sunshine:
    www.mytwohappyhomeschoolers.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by LexKalMommy View Post
    That is wonderful that you are pumping for Deanna's IP's! How great that the baby will have nothing but breastmilk! I felt so bad that my surro-twins had to be on formula leaving the hospital, i could not get the milk to them soon enough, I drove it 3.5 hours the following weekend :) The formula was making them very gassy and fussy.

Your supply is fantastic!! I was at 29oz at 11 days past delivery. Yesterday at 14 days I was at 38oz. I am steadily increasing though so I'm ok with that :)

BTW...a gallon is 128oz :) You almost have 2 quarts though!! Outstanding!! I kept thinking I wanted to pump a gallon a day until my DH informed me it was 128...I think I'd be happy with 64 :)

Hi Jodi, I must of been tired when I said a gallon of milk. I kept thinking about it and seriously thought that 64oz was in a gallon...:rotfl: Sorry about that. Thanks for correcting me.

I also have been on Red Raspberry supplements for the past 12wks and it's suppose to help increase lactation ( and help with your entire pregnancy). I really feel like it's doing it's job. Before I send my milk that I've collected so far to Deanna, I am going to count how many total ounces that I have pumped just for my own info. When I have breast feed my own children I never knew how much they were eating or I was producing. I know that I didn't have a problem feeding them. It's nice to know that I produce a good amount of milk.
    Oh, the lactation consultant at my hospital is the one that told me to pump for 15-20min with my Medela double breast pump (I am renting it from the hospital). I didn't know that I should be pumping for 25+ min. Does everyone here that pumps, pump for 25+ min? If not how long do you pump for? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 1st_time_surro View Post

Hi Jodi, I must of been tired when I said a gallon of milk. I kept thinking about it and seriously thought that 64oz was in a gallon...:rotfl: Sorry about that. Thanks for correcting me.

I also have been on Red Raspberry supplements for the past 12wks and it's suppose to help increase lactation ( and help with your entire pregnancy). I really feel like it's doing it's job. Before I send my milk that I've collected so far to Deanna, I am going to count how many total ounces that I have pumped just for my own info. When I have breast feed my own children I never knew how much they were eating or I was producing. I know that I didn't have a problem feeding them. It's nice to know that I produce a good amount of milk.
    Oh, the lactation consultant at my hospital is the one that told me to pump for 15-20min with my Medela double breast pump (I am renting it from the hospital). I didn't know that I should be pumping for 25+ min. Does everyone here that pumps, pump for 25+ min? If not how long do you pump for? Thanks!
    No worries, I was thinking it was 64 oz as well and thought it was totally doable :) My DH had to burst my bubble, LOL!

I pump for at least 20 minutes, 30 if I have time. I pump while I'm on here and Facebook so the time actually goes by very quickly for me. It is my nice quiet "me" time, the kids stay occupied and my DH leaves me alone. If I'm in a hurry I'll do a 15 minute session here and there.

It sounds like you are doing great at 15 minutes though, some women just produce more than others. I was an over-producer with my DD, almost 10 years ago, then I made just enough to keep my DS happy, 3 years ago. He was a more efficient eater and only ate what he needed and then got off the breast so I was never engorged or really ever felt full, yet he was always satisfied. With my DD, she used me as her pacifier as well, I would spray like 2 feet in the air every time I took a shower or if she popped off to look at something while nursing, I much preferred the lower supply with my son, it was less hassle.

Thanks, Gina!!

I only pumped 10 minutes every 3 hours and had more than enough milk for the triplets to get my breast milk exclusively from day 3 onward. I think it just depends on your body. I would fill up a bottle in about 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes I was just getting random drips. I never had too much of a problem with my milk supply, but I only pumped for about 7-8 weeks. Once the babies went back to NY, I stopped pumping.

How long do you plan on pumping?

Quote Originally Posted by Mom of Many View Post
    I only pumped 10 minutes every 3 hours and had more than enough milk for the triplets to get my breast milk exclusively from day 3 onward. I think it just depends on your body. I would fill up a bottle in about 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes I was just getting random drips. I never had too much of a problem with my milk supply, but I only pumped for about 7-8 weeks. Once the babies went back to NY, I stopped pumping.

How long do you plan on pumping?
    Hi Cheryl, Thanks for your info. The plan is to pump for 2 months.

Jodi thanks for your info also. Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that there was 64oz in a gallon....:rotfl:

Where are the other ladies that are/have pumped?

If I remember correctly (and if I felt like it I could dig through posts, but I'm feeling lazy), by around a 1w-2w PP I was getting 40 oz per day. Between 2-3 weeks, I had a guinness and the next day I pumped 60 ounces. Since then, I've been increasing by about 10 ounces a day per week. Right now I'm just about to hit 90, but I've been hovering at this much for several days now. I think I've probably topped out. (I'm 5w2d PP btw). My goal is a gallon. Yup, I'm crazy! :rotfl: I don't set my clock for the nighttime pumping. I just let my body or my snoring husband wake me up. I've actually had a few nights where I didn't wake up until 5 or so, but it didn't affect my end of the day total.

Best wishes to you! You're doing great!

Permanently benched by anterolisthesis. :(

I am so amazed by all you ladies who produce so much milk - that is just so incredible to me.

My surro babe is almost 5 months now and I continue to pump for her. My highest output was at 1-2 months pp and I produced around 46 oz per day. Currently I average about 34 oz per day so I am still keeping up with her demand.

Some days are really good for me - others less so. I pump a minimum of 6 times per day for about 1/2 hour each....so days I sneak in extra pump time when I can. My longest stretch without pumping is overnight - I generally pump at around 11PM and then get up to do my first morning pump at 5AM.

Since we are talking about gallons....I have pumped about 41 gallons since I baby V was born .. and I know one sweet little girl and her brother are happy with lovely chunky cheeks:spin:

Joy - It sounds to me like you are doing great!
    Last edited by DKmamato3; 03-20-2010 at 11:02 PM.