Thread: They gave me a Z-pak? Will it work?

DWHIT is offline is fighting the FAT!!!!!!

Default They gave me a Z-pak? Will it work?

I just got back from the drs office! I have had this nasty sinus crud for over a week. Feverish, achy, and it ends up I have an upper respiratory infection. So the dr prescribed the zitromax pack. Take two pillls today and one each day after for four days!

Please tell me that this will work. I feel awful! I am optimistic but she made the comment that sometimes people respond differently to it. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Dawn,

It should! Just remember to take the whole rx ~ keep hydrated!! I hope that you start feeling better soon!

Jennifer
    Wife & Mom to 3 young adults, an adorable toddler and preemie son
    GSx2 to Siblings; Sarah (12/04) & Ryan (1/06)
    Mommy to 5 angels in heaven
    Donor Embryo Recipient ~ 10/06 (m/c @ 14w & 2 chemicals)
    Tubal Reversal Surgery ~ 11/07
    Failed Adoption ~ 2/09-10/09
    Failed attempts w/a TS ~ 12/09-6/10
    I delivered 'Our Little Miracle' in July, 2011 ~ 9.2lbs ~ 22.25" long
    Our son arrived at 34 weeks Oct 7th ~ 4lbs 12ozs ~ 17.75" long
    Our family is complete!!

My son was just given a liquid Z-pack for his bronchitis and I've had a couple of Z-packs for different infections. It works every time. With the sinus infections I started noticing a difference w/in 24 hours.
    Jenni
    Momma to Kaleb, Hannah & Ezrah
    Birthmomma to Ladybug
    Slowly searching for GS IPs for 2013

DWHIT is offline is fighting the FAT!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OhioSurroMom View Post
    Dawn,

It should! Just remember to take the whole rx ~ keep hydrated!! I hope that you start feeling better soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post
    My son was just given a liquid Z-pack for his bronchitis and I've had a couple of Z-packs for different infections. It works every time. With the sinus infections I started noticing a difference w/in 24 hours.
    Thanks Ladies! I am trying to stay hydrated...but my throat is killing me!

Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Quote Originally Posted by DWHIT View Post
    Thanks Ladies! I am trying to stay hydrated...but my throat is killing me!
    Dawn,

Try warm liquids. I'm not a fan of tea, but I find that a cup of plain old Lipton tea with a spoon of honey in it does the trick ~ or hot cocoa or coffee.

Get some rest, sweets!

Jennifer
    Wife & Mom to 3 young adults, an adorable toddler and preemie son
    GSx2 to Siblings; Sarah (12/04) & Ryan (1/06)
    Mommy to 5 angels in heaven
    Donor Embryo Recipient ~ 10/06 (m/c @ 14w & 2 chemicals)
    Tubal Reversal Surgery ~ 11/07
    Failed Adoption ~ 2/09-10/09
    Failed attempts w/a TS ~ 12/09-6/10
    I delivered 'Our Little Miracle' in July, 2011 ~ 9.2lbs ~ 22.25" long
    Our son arrived at 34 weeks Oct 7th ~ 4lbs 12ozs ~ 17.75" long
    Our family is complete!!

Quote Originally Posted by DWHIT View Post
    I just got back from the drs office! I have had this nasty sinus crud for over a week. Feverish, achy, and it ends up I have an upper respiratory infection. So the dr prescribed the zitromax pack. Take two pillls today and one each day after for four days!

Please tell me that this will work. I feel awful! I am optimistic but she made the comment that sometimes people respond differently to it. Any opinions?

Thanks!
    I just finished a z-pack yesterday for a sinus infection and still feel terrible today. I had to run out at lunch and get advil cold & sinus.......the z-pack does affect everyone differently....good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by OhioSurroMom View Post
    Dawn,

Try warm liquids. I'm not a fan of tea, but I find that a cup of plain old Lipton tea with a spoon of honey in it does the trick ~ or hot cocoa or coffee.

Get some rest, sweets!
    When I'm sick I go for peppermint tea w/ honey to sweeten and a little dash of lemon juice. The honey will coat your throat and help soothe it, and the peppermint will help open your nose so you can breathe better. Plus, it helps with digestion too! The lemon helps with upset stomachs too and the Vitamin C (even though it's a little bit) can't hurt. That was my Czechoslovakian great-great grandmother's solution for any kind of illness - peppermint tea with lemon and honey - and it's been passed down for 4 generations now.
    Jenni
    Momma to Kaleb, Hannah & Ezrah
    Birthmomma to Ladybug
    Slowly searching for GS IPs for 2013

I had a horrendous sinus infection last month, and my OB prescribed the Z-pack for me, too. (I never get sinus infections - what's up with that?!) It worked like a CHARM! I had been sick FOREVER and after the meds, I finally started to feel human again.

Hope you feel better soon!

Proud milk donor since 04/11/08 for my surroson, my milk baby,
    & my milk baby's in-utero sibling-to-be! 20+ months of EPing now! :spin:

Just an FYI -

You take it for 5 days, but it keeps working for 10 days (the normal course time for an antibiotic), so you may or may NOT feel better when you've finished your 5 days.

On the other hand, if you have a viral thing, Z-Pac will NOT make you better (nor will any antibiotic).

Another thought: were you swabbed for Influenza ? "Feverish, achy" and "upper respiratory" issues can all be symptoms, particularly the first two.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon !

Quote Originally Posted by charityb View Post
    Just an FYI -

You take it for 5 days, but it keeps working for 10 days (the normal course time for an antibiotic), so you may or may NOT feel better when you've finished your 5 days.
    Thank you... I was going to say that. Your prescriber should have told you that you may not feel better until between days 7 and 10. Even though you have taken all of the medications, it is not done. The Z-pak continues to work in your system for the 10 days like a normal course of antibiotics. The other part of that is if your provider was not 100% sure that this was an actual sinus infection caused by bacteria... then you may not feel any better by the z-pak. I had a non bacterial sinus issue that has kicked my butt for nearly two weeks now. There is nothing medication wise that I can do about it (like what can be done for a bacterial sinus infection).

Good luck and I hope you feel better. A sinus infection is no fun at all.